Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It Takes a Village (& a Starbucks Guy)

After a few months of living in our grandparents' home while selling our house, praying that the kids wouldn't break any "prettys," we finally moved into our new home 2 weeks ago!

This was a major feat we could not have achieved without the amazing help of our kids' grandparents, great-grandparents, great-aunties, uncles, aunties, friends, & Cherry Street neighbors.

It took me awhile, but over the last year I finally learned how to accept help. In fact, I have gotten so good at accepting & soliciting help over the past few months that I recently enlisted the help of a complete stranger:
The other day, as I pulled through the BEST INVENTION EVER - the Starbucks drive thru - I whispered to the Starbucks guy, "Hey, can I ask you a big favor?"
"Sure," he happily replies (I think they get Prozac with their paychecks).
"I'm going to roll down my back window & when I drive off, can you give me the thumbs up sign if my baby is asleep?"

"Sure!" He is so excited, & I start to feel bad that I didn't tip him for babysitting services, but seriously, I just bought a new house that I have to furnish.

So now I am asking strangers who work in drive-thru windows to assist in rearing my children.
Pretty sure I will not be asked to write a parenting book any time soon.

4 comments:

  1. I love it Emily! I reached a new low when I called ahead for sandwiches at Jimmy Johns and asked if they could "deliver" to their parking lot so I wouldn't have wake Ryan up to take him in. They happily obliged and proved yet again why they're one of the best chains ever. Secondly only to Quik Trip of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, I love it - that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it is Meghan and Kristin's friend Katie. Just saw your blog on Meghan's and saw this post and was laughing so hard! That is hysterical! I love the Starbucks drive thru and basically any drive thru....the dry-cleaners, food, ice tea stops.....everything should be drive thru.....maybe Target will be next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie! I hear about you all the time-I wish I could do pub crawls on The Devonshire like you guys get so - so UNFAIR! Hope you and your family are doing well! I am finally starting to feel normal after 2 kids-awesome that it took an ENTIRE YEAR! ahhhhhh! take care!

    ReplyDelete